As we roll closer to the New Year, my head is filled with thoughts of a prosperous 2017. What will I do differently? Improve upon? What should I continue? What should I toss? Or keep? Whom should I spend more time with? Less? What do I want to accomplish? How do I want to spend my time? What is truly important?
2016 wasn’t bad mind you, but there’s always room for improvement.
What can I do to fill next year with more joy? More success? More meaning? More love?
Stop Fixing and Start Living!
When it comes right down to it, most of us know exactly where we fall short. We are acutely aware of the challenges that cause us to struggle. We know what hurts. What keeps us awake at night. What brings us anxiety and pain.
And in most cases, we know what we need to do to fix it.
Every single answer rests in God’s Word. He keeps no secrets and He doesn’t talk in riddles. It’s all there for the picking. God wants our lives to be spilling over with joy, success, meaning, and love, but we must choose to act. We must listen, discipline ourselves, and overcome.
[Tweet “We must listen, discipline ourselves, and overcome.”]
WE MUST CHOOSE
It’s a choice.
With God’s guidance and your effort, you have a 100% certainty of winning. The odds are forever in your favor. No maybes. No guessing games. No gambling.
We can’t always control the situations and people around us, but we can absolutely control how we process and react.
My top struggles?
- Caring what other people think.
- Saying ‘NO’ when I should.
- Trying to control everything around me.
- Pain from broken relationships.
His Word tells me that I should concern myself first and foremost with what HE thinks.
- The world is flawed and people are sinful. To measure my standard by earthly inhabitants will only bring heartache, and in many cases, failure.
‘For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.’ Galatians 1:10
- God doesn’t want me wasting the precious, finite resources He’s so abundantly provided. He wants my time, energy, and finances used with purpose and care.
‘So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.’ Psalm 90:12
- Who is in control. Me? Of course not. The people around me who ‘seem’ to be in control? Nope. Ultimately, God is the only one in control of everything and I would do well to remember this when faced with a struggle. It is HE I should deflect to. HE is the one calling the shots and it is HIS Will that I must seek and petition.
‘Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.’ Proverbs 19:21
- There is no heartbreak or disappointment that God cannot comfort nor any brokenness that God cannot heal. Why I beat myself up repeatedly lamenting over this is beyond me, but I do. UGH!
‘He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.’ Psalm 147:3
With a ‘LET GO, LET GOD’ approach I have made significant progress with the first three areas of struggle. Number four, well, that is what I CHOOSE to overcome for 2017. I’m choosing to rest in God’s Word and in His provision. I don’t need a self-help book or 10 steps to tell me I need to check this one off my list. Sure, it’s okay, and even advisable, to gather helpful tools to aid your journey, but the truth is I KNOW what needs to happen and I simply must choose to do it.
In spite of momentary struggles, I have every confidence God will bless my heart and effort. I know He will make the journey right beside me. I trust He will pave the way for more hope and joy than I’ve ever known. He WANTS my burdens at His feet. He desires I turn over my worries to Him. He promises to make ALL things new.
“And He who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new.’ Also He said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’” Revelation 21:5
Sometimes the road is bumpy. I get it. Human emotions seep in and overwhelm. We can lose focus and temporarily lose our minds. Boy howdy, have I been there! But recover quickly, refocus, and listen to God. There comes a time when enough is enough. When you’re sick and tired of being sick and tired. When the desire and determination to make life better is a stronger pull than resigning yourself to misery.
With heels dug in and chin up, I am determined to follow Him.
It’s time to stop fixing and start living!
Go 2017! Go You! Go Me!
CALL TO ACTION
In the comment section below, tell us your top struggle and then post a Bible verse that speaks the truth you need to hear in order to overcome the struggle. Someone else may need it too! 🙂